Skip to content

Victoria has some of the most stunning roads in the world, such as The Great Ocean Road. Our vast and well-maintained road network ensures driving is a popular mode of transport throughout Victoria.

Wherever you drive in Australia, you must drive on the left-hand side of the road. Driving is one of the most enjoyable modes of transport in Victoria and our driving laws are strictly enforced by police so that you and your family can get to your destination safely.

You can find all the information you need about Victoria’s road and driving laws on the VicRoads website.

Do you need a driver’s licence?

Everyone who drives a car in Victoria needs a valid driver’s licence. There are some exceptions for migrants and residents.

You may be required to undertake some tests to receive a Victorian licence. Find out more about overseas licences. Information in other languages about Victorian driver licence testing is available on the VicRoads website.

Car registration

Every vehicle in Victoria must be registered with VicRoads. The cost of registering a vehicle will vary according to the type of vehicle you drive and where you live.

Car registrations are generally renewed once a year and there are different payment options available to pay for the registration.

Part of the cost of registering your car goes to the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) which provides support services for people injured in transport accidents (but does not cover damage to cars).

Visit the registration section of the VicRoads website for more information about car registration in Victoria.


All registered vehicles in Victoria must also have a Certificate of Roadworthiness. A Certificate of Roadworthiness is required when a vehicle is sold or used on the roads and only a licensed vehicle tester can issue a Certificate of Roadworthiness.

Roadworthy cars help to protect the safety of drivers and others who use the roads.

Car insurance

Car insurance helps to protect your car if you experience an accident or damage to your vehicle. There are many car insurers in Melbourne that can provide you with competitive prices.

If you would like to get car insurance, choose a product that best suits your needs. The ASIC MoneySmart website has more useful information about car insurance in Australia.

Maps and street directories

Most modern cars have in-car navigation or the ability to link to portable GPS devices to make your finding your way easy. But there are a number of free online street maps and directions available to help you get to where you want to go:

Melway is a commonly used street directory that covers all of Melbourne and its suburbs, and much of regional Victoria. It’s available as a book and in digital format. The Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV) and VicRoads also produce the RACV VicRoads Country Street Directory of Victoria, which provides detailed maps of Victoria's regional centres.

Toll roads

Tolls are charged on some Melbourne roads, including the CityLink and Eastlink tollways. To use these tollways you must either open an account (and receive a remote monitoring device, called an eTag, to attach to the car) or buy a pass before you travel on the tollway. The eTag allows you to travel through the tollway without having to stop and pay at a toll gate (we don’t have toll gates).

To avoid paying additional fees, ensure your account is always topped up, or you pay for your travel prior to your trip. Failure to do so may result in fines.

Learn more about Melbourne car fines.

For more information on how to pay tolls, visit the Linkt website.

Roadside assistance

Roadside assistance for vehicle breakdowns in Melbourne is available. One of the most common providers of roadside assistance in Melbourne is RACV, but there are several car insurers that provide roadside assistance.

Enquire about roadside assistance when exploring your car insurance options.

Information in other languages

VicRoads has developed a series of videos, handbooks and fact sheets in a variety of languages with information about getting your licence, buying and registering a car and road safety. See the Vicroads website.

Please note: The information, services and views expressed that may appear on any linked websites are not necessarily endorsed by the Skilled and Business Migration Program and the Victorian Government. It is recommended that you make your own enquiries as to the appropriateness and suitability of the information on this site for your particular circumstances.




This page is not available in Chinese. Choose what you’d like to do next.

Stay on this site to view other content

Continue to read this page in English