Skip to content

Melbourne is full of vocational education and training colleges that offer plenty of study options for you and your family.

Vocational Education and Training colleges in Melbourne are recognised around the world for their industry-relevant training and world-class facilities.

Where can you go to study?

In our state, Vocational Education and Training is offered by over 500 registered training providers (including TAFEs, Learn Locals and private providers) offering thousands of courses.

Students can choose the course, delivery mode and provider that best meets their needs.

Vocational Education and Training

Vocational Education and Training (VET) is a national system that trains people in particular industries such as plumbing and retail, through practical training and apprenticeships.

Victoria's VET system includes public TAFE institutions, adult community education and private VET providers.

Technical and Further Education (TAFE)

Technical and Further Education (TAFE) is Victoria's largest post-secondary education and training sector. It provides job-specific training and further education in a wide range of occupations and levels across industries. Graduates can receive nationally recognised qualifications for more than 1400 accredited courses.

Entry requirements for TAFE courses vary. Many TAFE courses require satisfactory completion of VCE (year 12 of high school), while others accept school leavers who have completed year 10 or 11, as well as mature-age students. Some courses do not have any specific educational conditions.

Some universities also offer TAFE courses. The Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), Victoria University and Swinburne University all have TAFE sectors.

VET and TAFE fees

Fees and charges depend on whether a course is offered on a fee-for-service basis or supported by the government.

Local undergraduate students are eligible for places that are primarily funded by the Commonwealth Government – you make a partial contribution, which can be paid upfront or deferred and repaid once you graduate and your income passes a minimum repayment threshold.

To be eligible for a Commonwealth funded place in university or TAFE you have to be a permanent resident of Australia. If you are a temporary resident, you and your children will not be eligible and must apply as a full-fee paying international student.

Academic year

TAFE courses normally run from February to December and may accept students during the year.

How to apply

Applications for most courses can be made directly to the institution or training provider or to the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC).

If you are a VCE student (Year 12 of high school) you usually apply through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC).

Visit the VTAC website for more information about applying, entry requirements, courses, and institutions.

Explore Melbourne’s colleges and training

For information about college and training options in Melbourne visit:

Please note: The information, services and views expressed that may appear on any linked websites are not necessarily endorsed by the Skilled and Business Migration Program and the Victorian Government. It is recommended that you make your own enquiries as to the appropriateness and suitability of the information on this site for your particular circumstances.




This page is not available in Chinese. Choose what you’d like to do next.

Stay on this site to view other content

Continue to read this page in English