Melbourne is famous for major sporting events and our many community sports clubs welcome new members
Melbourne is the self-proclaimed sports capital of the world. We are a sports-obsessed city all year round:
- In autumn and winter we are the home of Australian Rules Football – Australia’s national sport
- In spring we host the world-renowned Spring Racing Carnival for horse racing. The annual Melbourne Cup is the feature event of the Spring Racing Carnival
- In summer we host cricket matches, golf events and tennis tournaments. The Australian Open tennis grand slam happens in Melbourne every January, and the Melbourne Formula 1 Grand Prix is held every March.
Fun for the whole family
Melbourne’s excellent network of local sports clubs and facilities cater for almost every sport imaginable. Joining a local club is easy and affordable.
For more information about Melbourne’s sporting organisations, visit Sport and Recreation Victoria.
Pick a sport, any sport
Australian sport is a big part of Australian culture. Some of the key sports played in Victoria include:
- Australian Rules football
You can also find clubs for other sports such as table tennis, baseball, mahjong and chess.
Major Melbourne sports events
Melbourne hosts several world-class sporting events every year:
- the Australian Open (tennis – January)
- Avalon Airport International Air Show (February/March)
- the Australian Formula One Grand Prix (motor sport – March)
- Australian Rules Football (AFL) (football – March to September)
- MotoGP Motorcycle Grand Prix (motor sport – October)
- the Spring Racing Carnival including the Melbourne Cup (horse racing – October/November)
- Boxing Day test match (cricket – December).