In 2014-15, food and fibre exports contributed A$11.9 billion to Victoria’s economy.
Central to Australia’s food processing industry, Victoria offers safe, high quality food and beverages for the Asia-Pacific.
Victoria accounts for just three per cent of Australia’s landmass, but produces more than one quarter of its food and fibre exports. Our food, fibre and agriculture industry produce:
- 27% of Australia’s total food exports
- 40% of Australia’s total fibre exports.
Victoria is well positioned to supply out of season produce to northern hemisphere trading partners due to the advantage of opposing seasons, particularly in dairy, meat, grains, horticulture and wine.
Victoria is the home of food and agribusiness innovation in Australia, with competitive advantages in supply chain management, strong partnerships with industry groups, a highly innovative operating environment with some of the highest food safety standards in the world, superior infrastructure and strong research and development (R&D) credentials.
Approximately 190,000 people are employed in the food and fibre value chain across the state, with the sector accounting for one in six regional Victorian jobs. Complementing this highly skilled workforce is the pristine natural environment, temperate climate, high quality water infrastructure, and proximity to reliable and efficient transport networks.
You can download Victoria’s Future Industries – Food and Fibre Sector Strategy for more information about Victoria’s plan for jobs growth and investment attraction in this industry.
Business and investment
- Food Service Industry Association
- Australian Food and Grocery Council
- National Baking Industry Association
- Australian Beverages Council
- The Allergen Bureau
- Nutrition Australia
- Red Meat Advisory Council Ltd. (RMAC)
- The Australian Livestock Export Corporation Ltd. (LiveCorp)
- Dairy Industry Association of Australia
- Australian Dairy Farmers (ADF)
- Australian Lot Feeders' Association (ALFA)
- Australian Livestock & Property Agents Association (ALPA)
- Australian Wool Innovation Ltd. (AWI)
- Australian Pork Limited (APL)
- Australian Chicken Growers Council Limited (ACGC)
- Australian Chicken Meat Federation Inc. (ACMF)
- Australian Egg Corporation Limited (AECL)
- Nursery and Garden Industry Australia (NGIA)
- Summerfruit Australia Limited (SAL)
- Australian Banana Growers' Council Inc (ABGC)
- Australian Mango Industry Association (AMIA)
- Avocados Australia
- Australian Pineapples
- Australian Lychee Growers Association (ALGA)
- Citrus Australia
- Apple and Pear Australia Limited (APAL)
- Australian Macadamia Society (AMS)
- Australian Melon Association Inc. (AMA)
- Australian Table Grape Association (ATGA)
- Custard Apples Australia Inc.
- Passionfruit Australia Inc. (PAI)
- Australian Olive Association (AOA)