Fishing is fun in so many ways. It gives you the opportunity to enjoy time with friends and family, unplug from the electronic world and enjoy some of Victoria’s beautiful aquatic environments. However, it important that we protect our fish so that future generations can also enjoy this pastime.
The Victorian Fisheries Authority is responsible for looking after fish and ensuring we have fish for the future.
If you are fishing in Victoria it is important to understand and obey the rules. Some of these rules include:
- You need a licence to go fishing in Victoria and the licence can only be used by the person who’s name is on it
- Size and bag limits apply to many fish
- Only certain equipment can be used
- Sometimes you can’t fish in certain areas or at certain times
- You cannot sell or trade your fish to other people.
For current details of all the rules around fishing in Victoria, please visit the Victorian Fisheries Authority website or download the free VicFishing Recreational Fishing guide app.