International PhD graduates can get their visa nomination applications fast tracked.
- completed PhD from a Victorian university: You may nominate any occupation that is eligible for the Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) visa on the Department of Home Affairs' Migration (IMMI 18/051: Specification of Occupations and Assessing Authorities) Instrument 2018
- completed PhD of a recognised standard (as determined by the relevant skill assessing authority) from an overseas university or an Australian university outside of Victoria: In a field relating to an occupation on the Visa Nomination Occupations List for Victoria in the past five years.
Other requirements include:
- an English language test with a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 in each band or equivalent
- registration requirements for certain occupations. Refer to the Visa Nomination Occupation List for Victoria for more details
- a skills assessment. PhD applicants are not required to have any previous work experience, but some skill assessing authorities require at least twelve months of work experience in order to obtain a full skills assessment.
You can apply for visa nomination online. You must include evidence of your PhD completion.
For more information contact the Skilled and Business Migration Program.
Visa options for international students
As a graduating international student there are several pathways to permanent residency, depending on your personal circumstances. Visit the Skilled migration visas page for more information.
The Department of Home Affairs website provides more information about the full range of visa options available and their eligibility requirements.