Skip to content

There are several business and work visas available for those who want to visit Victoria for short-term business and work purposes.

The Victorian Government recognises the value that international business people bring to Victoria, such as

  • diversity of skills
  • potential to expand local businesses
  • stimulation of export activity
  • maximising employment opportunities for Victorians.
Important: All international business people are required to obtain a visa to enter Australia, issued by the Commonwealth Government’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

For business people, these visas can range from business visit visas (designed for those who want to visit for short-term business purposes), temporary work visas and a variety of provisional and permanent visas.

There are a number of temporary visas available that allow business people to visit Australia for a short period of time. Outlined below are the most common short stay visitor and work visas. There are many other short stay work visas available for different activities, e.g. entertainers, ministers of religion, sportspersons, academics/researchers, diplomats etc.

For a complete overview of visitor and work visas, please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website or consider engaging a Registered Migration Agent for advice.

Visitor visas

Visitor visas allow people to visit Australia generally for stays of three months or, in some cases, longer. The purpose of the visit may be simply as a tourist or to visit relatives, but may also be for business visitor activities. There are different kinds of Visitor visas:

  • Visitor visa (subclass 600)
  • Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601)
  • eVisitor visa (subclass 651).

A visitor visa is not a work visa and only allows business visitor activities limited to:

  • making general business or employment enquiries
  • investigating, negotiating, signing or reviewing a business contract
  • activities carried out as part of an official government-to-government visit
  • participating in conferences, trade fairs or seminars, as long as you are not being paid by the organisers for your participation.

A visitor visa does not allow you to provide services in Australia or to sell goods or services to the public.

For more information about which visitor visa is right for you and how to apply, visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (subclass 400)

This temporary work visa is for people who want to travel to Australia to do short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work. Generally, the stay period is up to three months although a six month stay may be granted in some circumstances.

For more information about this visa, visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.

Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)

The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) allows skilled workers to come to Australia and work for an approved business for up to four years. It is the most common temporary work visa in Australia.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has announced that the 457 visa will be abolished and replaced by the Temporary Skill Shortage visa in March 2018. For up to date information, visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.